There is one thing I cannot stand at work: no snacks. I hate feeling hungry with nothing to eat because that leads to potato chips from the vending machine and leftover donuts from the morning meeting. My current obsession is nuts. Nuts are a great snack because they’re full of protein, fiber, and yes, fat too, but supposedly it’s the “good” kind (tell that to my thighs, why don’t you?). The best part is that they’re really filling so you don’t need to eat a whole bag to feel satisfied (please don’t eat the whole bag; they have a lot of calories). Below is my list of favorite nut snacks:
- Peanut butter: I LOVE peanut butter. True, I don’t keep a jar of pb at my desk and also true peanut butter is a legume, not a nut. But it’s got NUT in the name, so there. There are only two kinds I like: Jif or Trader Joe’s (with salt). Must be creamy. Peanut butter with bananas and honey is heaven on toast and makes a good pre-workout snack.
- Sahale Snacks: Unique blends of nuts and spices. My current favorite is the Valdosta which makes excellent use of orange zest and black pepper.
- Whole Foods Salted Cashews: Cashews are my favorite nut because they’re sweet. As a kid, when my parents would buy the mixed nuts, I would just eat all the cashews out of it. The salty-sweet combo of this brand is perfect.
- Trader Joe’s Chocolate-Covered Almonds: Made with turbinado sugar and sea salt. The chocolate makes it more indulgent. I actually like to suck on these for a second to get a good dose of salt before chewing. What? Is that weird?
- Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds: I forgot how insanely addictive these were until recently. Salty + smoky + almondy = tasty!
- Planters Dry-Roasted Peanuts: Salty, simple goodness. Beats the pants off of those cloying honey-roasted buggers.
- Hey, go nuts!