This weekend was a glorious one in New York. The weather was a perfect mid-70’s and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. I say we deserved it after the blizzards and the crazy ridiculous rain storm we had the previous weekend!
I met a friend in Brooklyn and we took a long stroll through several neighborhoods. There was:
- a stop at the farmer’s market and apple tasting
- an iced chai from starbucks
- a bavarian ham sandwich on “pretzel bread” at cafe peddlar in cobble hill
- a sample-tasting at union market (my friend even bought the “baconnaise” which we were astounded to find out was safe for vegetarians)
- a glass of wine and a tomato basil pizza to round out the day
This kind of weather inspires me to eat fresh, simple food. The vegetable of Spring is asparagus. As I wandered into my local grocery store to find that they were all out of asparagus, I realized that I wasn’t the only one with spring food fever!
So, here is my light (asparagus-free) and quick dinner (adjust the amounts to your liking!):
Sugar Snap Peas and Penne
Boil sugar snap peas for about 4 minutes (or until tender)
Boil pasta as per directions
Toss the pasta, sugar snap peas, olive oil, parmesan cheese, and black pepper. Serve immediately–this is best eaten fresh!