Yup, I dragged out the crock pot again. This time I made beef burgundy (boeuf bourguignon for the snobs). This is the best thing I’ve made in the crock pot so far, but considering I gave Jimmy Fallon’s chili a B-, that’s ain’t exactly praise. Honestly, I feel like I need to double all the spice recommendations in crock pot recipes to get any flavor out of them at all.
Anyway, this recipe comes from Cooking Light’s Slow Cooker recipe book.
- 10 oz pearl onions (Unbelievably, Vons did not have any pearl onions, so I omitted this)
- 2 pounds top round steak, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 cups sliced onion (1 large)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- cooking spray
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup Burgundy or other dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (stupidly, I forgot to buy this so I threw in some tomato sauce–not the same thing!)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (I didn’t have this so I used herbs de provence, which includes thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used WAY more than this. WAY WAY more)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (yup, used WAY more of this too)
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups cups hot, cooked egg noodles
1. Drop pearl onions in boiling water, cook 1 minutes. Drain onions, peel.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak; saute 5 minutes or until browned. Place steak in a 3-quart electric slow cooker (I have a 6-quart, which was fine–no burning). Add sliced onion and garlic to pan; coat with cooking spray, and saute over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Sprinkle flour over onion-garlic mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth, wine and tomato paste, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until thick. Add pearl onions, dried thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaf and mushrooms.
3. Pour wine mixture over steak in cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 6-7 hours (I cooked it for 6). Discard bay leaf. Serve over noodles. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired. I topped it with sour cream, which added a nice cool note.